Paul Laird - EA
   Enrolled Agent

(925) 759-8339



        Your social security number or tax ID number
        Your spouse’s full name and social security number or tax ID number
        Copy of last year’s tax returns
        Bank account # and routing # if direct depositing refunds

DEPENDENTS INFORMATION (If a New Client or any changes from last year)

Birthdates and social security numbers or tax ID numbers
Income of other adults in your home
Form 8332 showing release of right to claim child (if applicable)


Record of estimated tax payments (Form 1040ES)
Record of any State estimated tax payments


Forms W-2
Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)
QuickBooks accountant’s copy or List of Income and Expenses by category
Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not on 1099s
Expense records – check registers, credit card statements, and receipts
Business-use asset description, cost, date placed in service of assets costing over $500
Office in home information – total sq. ft. home, sq. ft. office, utilities, homeowner’s insurance, etc.
SEP, Simple or other self-employed pension plans
Rental Income
Income and expense records
Rental asset cost, date placed in service, etc.

Retirement Income

Pension/IRA/Annuity Income (1099-R)
Traditional IRA basis – amounts you contributed that were already taxed
Social Security/RRB income – (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)
Saving & Investments or Dividends
Foreign bank account information (if applicable)
Interest, dividend Income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
Acquisition dates and records of cost or other basis in property sold (if not reported on 1099-B)
Investment related expenses
Health savings account and long term care contributions and reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
Medical savings account contributions and reimbursements
Other Income & Losses
Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
Prizes and awards
Hobby income and expenses
Jury Duty records
Trust information, including K-1’s from trusts
Royalty income (1099 misc.)
Any other 1099s received, including 1099-C (cancellation of debt)
Records of Alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN
Copy of HUD-1 Settlement statement for any real estate sales

TYPES OF DEDUCTIONS                                                                                                                                       

Home ownership
Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
Real Estate and personal property tax records
Energy-saving home improvement receipts
All other 1098 series forms

Charitable Donations

Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, or other charitable organizations
Non-cash charitable donation records
Miles driven for charitable or medical purposes
Out-of-pocket Medical Expenses (not paid through a flexible spending account at work or by employer)
Amounts paid for healthcare insurance
Amounts paid to doctors, dentists, hospitals
Amounts paid for prescriptions
Miles driven for medical care

Health Insurance

From 1095-A if enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (employer, insurance company, government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.)
Marketplace exemption certificate if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)

Childcare Expenses

Name, address and tax ID or Social Security Number for each provider
Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care of child under 13 years of age, when both parents employed

Educational Expenses

Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses, including books, computers
Records of scholarships or fellowships you received
Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest

Job Expenses & Tax Prep Fees

Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking)
Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)
Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)
Job-hunting expenses
Moving expenses not reimbursed by employer
Amount paid for last year’s tax return preparation
Job-hunting expenses
Moving expenses not reimbursed by employer
Amount paid for last year’s tax return preparation

State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax

State/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or state/local sales tax paid
Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

Retirement & Other Savings

Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
Form 5498 showing IRA contributions (Regular and Roth)
All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

Federally Declared Disaster/Casualty and Theft

City/county you lived/worked/had property in
Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
Records of rebuilding/repair costs
Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
FEMA assistance information
Check FEMA site to see if your county has been declared a federal disaster area
Casualty and theft losses: amount of damage, insurance reimbursements